The Corporation’s By-laws require that a report of the Directors be presented at each Annual Meeting of the members.
I would like to take this opportunity to provide the report by reflecting on the most recent Conference held in June 2017 and speak to you about the next steps for the Corporation.
As most of you will know, a very successful conference was held between June 2 and June 16, 2017, opening in Whistler and closing in Ottawa.
We had 261 members, of which 55% were women and 45% men. The conference was very diverse – as it should be – and once again the conference fulfilled its goal of having a significant number of Indigenous members, 46 in total.
In Whistler, there was a line-up of exceptional speakers. I suggest you read the speech excerpts online or in the closing report.
The study tours were highly rated by the participants, with over 60% saying it was their favourite part of the conference. The closing presentations were very strong, and our incredible Governor General was a very active participant – anyone on stage with him will remember his active participation.
The post conference survey revealed the impact of the conference on the members:
- 99% said that the conference met or exceeded their expectations (with 52% saying it greatly exceeded their expectations)
- 96% said the conference was a valuable experience (73% said it was extremely valuable)
- 97% said that the conference helped them develop as leaders
- 94% said the conference gave them a greater knowledge of Canada and national issues
- 94% said that compared to other conferences they have attended the GGCLC was more valuable (which I know is a statistic Ian Anderson likes to watch).