We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information obtained by reason of your use of the Governor General’s Canadian Leadership Alumni and Conference Application, as well as any other media form, media channel, or mobile website related, linked, or otherwise connected thereto (collectively, the “App”). This policy explains the types of personal information we collect, how it is used, and the steps we take to ensure your personal information is handled appropriately.
Our policies and practices have been designed to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada) and corresponding provincial privacy acts.
Who are we?
What is personal information?
Personal information is information that refers to an individual specifically and is recorded in any form. Personal information includes such things as age, date of birth, ethnic origin. Information about individuals contained in the following documents is not considered personal information:
• public telephone directories, where the subscriber can refuse to be listed,
• professional and business directories available to the public,
• public registries and court records,
• other publicly available printed and electronic publications.
We are accountable to you
We are responsible for all personal information under our control, including any personal information that is transferred to third parties for processing, storage or other purposes. We have employees who are accountable for compliance with these privacy and security principles.
We let you know why we collect and use your personal information and get your consent
We identify the purpose for which your personal information is collected and will be used or disclosed. If that purpose is not listed below we will do this before or at the time the information is actually being collected. You will be deemed to consent to our use of your personal information for the purpose of:
• communicating with you generally
• facilitating communication between you and other Alumni
• providing products and services requested by you, including, without limitation, chats, blogs, message boards, online forums, and other functionality
• recommending services and events that we believe will be of interest and provide value to you
• performing statistical analyses of user behaviour and characteristics, in order to measure interest in and use of the various sections of the App so as to improve design and navigation. Only aggregated data from these analyses, not individual data, will be used for this purpose
• complying with legal and governmental requirements
• connecting you with other users of the App;
• fulfilling any other purpose that would be reasonably apparent to the average person at the time we collect it from you
Otherwise, we will obtain your express consent (by verbal, written or electronic agreement) to collect, use or disclose your personal information. You can change your consent preferences at any time by contacting us in accordance with the “How to contact us” section below.
We limit collection of your personal information
We collect only the information required to provide services to you. We will collect personal information only by clear, fair and lawful means.
We receive and store any information you enter on the App or give us in any other way. You can choose not to provide certain information.
We also receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites and apps, we use “cookies,” and we obtain certain types of information when your web browser accesses the App.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide features such as personalized greetings.
We limit disclosure and retention of your personal information
We not disclose personal information to any organization or person for any reason except the following:
• we employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include surveys of the Alumni, analyzing data. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes
• You are deemed to consent to disclosure of your personal information for those purposes. If your personal information is shared with third parties, those third parties are bound by appropriate agreements with us to secure and protect the confidentiality of your personal information.
We keep your personal information up to date and accurate
We keep your personal information up to date, accurate and relevant for its intended use.
You may request access to the personal information we have on record in order to review and amend the information, as appropriate. To access your personal information, refer to the “How to contact us” section below.
The security of your personal information is a priority for us
We take steps to safeguard your personal information, regardless of the format in which it is held, including:
• physical security measures such as restricted access facilities and locked filing cabinets
• electronic security measures for computerized personal information such as password protection, database encryption and personal identification numbers. We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you enter.
• organizational processes such as limiting access to your personal information to a selected group of individuals
• contractual obligations with third parties who need access to your personal information requiring them to protect and secure your personal information
It’s important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and your computer or mobile device. Be sure to sign off when you’ve finished using the App.
We are open about our privacy and security policy
We are committed to providing you with understandable and easily available information about our policy and practices related to management of your personal information. This policy and any related information is available at all times on request. To contact us, refer to the “How to contact us” section below.
We provide access to your personal information stored by us
You can request access to your personal information stored by us. To contact us, refer to the “How to contact us” section below. Upon receiving such a request, we will:
• inform you about what type of personal information we have on record or in our control, how it is used and to whom it may have been disclosed
• provide you with access to your information so you can review and verify the accuracy and completeness and request changes to the information
• make any necessary updates to your personal information.
We respond to your questions, concerns and complaints about privacy
We respond in a timely manner to your questions, concerns and complaints about the privacy of your personal information and our privacy policies and procedures.
How to contact us
• by calling us at (877) 388-4427
• by emailing us at email@example.com